Using a homemade desktop wood streamer out of a piece of PVC pipe and an electric teapot, I've been able to transform static basswood strips into bending, curving and elegant (well almost) structural ribs. So far the 3rd prototype has been able to hold on standard masonry brick and with the final prototype four times the size of the last holding double that weight should be no problem. The next step is exploring the structures connection to the ground plane and addressing the bold connections through the wood.
The original inspiration for this project was in the fractal organization of forests. This served as the base for designing our structural unit which is pictured here.As we began to aggregate the units, we found that there were other sources of inspiration. The lofty canopy of the forest and Cloud City (Star Wars) were early influences. We came to the conclusion that the spaces we were beginning to create were not "cavernous enough". So why not look into caverns as a source of inspiration? So we found ourselves with a cast of characters supporting our design.
Gimli son of Gloin and caverns pictured here:Legolas son of Thranduil and the forest pictured here: LandoCalrissian and Cloud City (with BobaFett) pictured here:With inspiration coming from our own world, a galaxy far far away, and Middle Earth we have begun to create real space. It is pictured below:
These are Megan's initial process experiments. She tried multiple variations of burning and distorting wood to find just the right propety to continue on with.
That property ended up being burning wood lath that had been exposed to dish soap applied with a sponge. As you can see, the sponge technique created a beautiful array of texture and shading based on the amount of soap, texture of sponge, and colour of wood. Once the final technique was decided upon, it was time to go full scale.
This is Megan's final curtain panel. How lovely and aged it looks with fine seams of light bursting through the naturally occuring slits and knots. The leopard pattern burned into the unique grains emphasizes the unique beauty of this project.
Derived from 6" plastic messenger tubes, the plastic scales were created through a method of flattening the tubes in boiling water, and were then torched on a flat surface to fuse the sides together. They were then hung on a jig and torched until the bubbles were properly articulated and carmelized. The final scales were attached using wire and placed in an aluminum frame.